Who Can Be a Process Server?

Per RCW 18.180.010 Requirements for process servers — Exceptions.  *** CHANGE IN 2014 *** (SEE 6115.SL) ***

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, a person who serves legal process for a fee in the state of Washington shall:

(a) Be eighteen years of age or older.

(b) Be a resident of the state of Washington; and

(c) Register as a process server with the auditor of the county in which the process server resides or operates his or her principal place of business.

Why Use a Professional Process Server Over Other Sources?

The Revised Code of Washington (RCW 4.28.080), along with Federal Civil Rule 4 dictates how service is made. A Professional Process Server has the experience, both technically and in the field, to make certain your papers are served according to Federal or State law. We are trained to be neutral, non-judgmental, trusted third parties to an action; avoiding the chance for conflicts of interest, unlawful service, incorrect return packets, etc., all which can be costly mistakes causing your case or judgment to be vacated by the Court(s)

How Much Does it Cost?

All Agencies are different, but you can expect $75.00 – $125.00 for most cases, dependent upon deadline and distance. It is good practice to interview a few Firms in order to make sure you are comfortable with their process and all expectations are agreed upon prior to commencement of service. Be wary of low cost providers or those that cannot answer your questions concisely; minimal entry requirements make it an easy business to get into, but doesn’t change the complexity of law when serving civil process.

Can Service Fees Be Recovered if I Win My Case?

The Judge will have discretion in awarding fees, but in most cases service fee(s) are fully recoverable by the winning party, up to $99.99. See RCW 18.180.035 for more information on this topic.

What to Expect?

Professionalism, Courtesy and Communication are the cornerstone(s) of what to expect when using a Registered Process Server. As a client, you should have answers to your questions with regard to service rules, fees, work flow and file close out up front in a professional and courteous manner. Communication and status updates should be provided as you desire throughout the process. You should never be charged more than the initially agreed upon fee without prior authorization.

Can Order(s) Be Faxed or Emailed?

Yes and is the preferred method for most documents sets. For larger sets (25 pages and above) there may be a small fee for consumables such as paper and ink. It is incumbent upon the Client to know the rules with regard to serving an original, wet ink document vs a copy.

How Long Does it Take?

For Routine Service, you can expect a minimum of a week and for Rush Service or Expedited Service, attempts made within the deadline provided and agreed upon. Some services may take multiple attempts dependent upon the demeanor of the Recipient and some are perfected on the very first try. There are many variables that go into this answer and it is best to know both parties expectations up front. Usually, the shorter the deadline, the higher the cost.

What if the Person Cannot Be Found or Is Evasive?

We will use any professional means possible to affect service. We are aggressive and diligent in our methods, but will not serve any paper unlawfully. Communication is the key to these type of files and we will ask multiple questions in order to develop a service team and to put in place the most effective service plan possible.

What if the Subject Will Not Accept the Papers?

It is a misnomer that documents must be placed in the hands of the Recipient; however in lieu of, strict case law must be followed to ensure a successful, lawful service. Positive identification, no impediment to the recipient, are just two of the qualifying variables that may apply.

What Is a Declaration of Service?

A Declaration is included with every service order and is a formal statement of the occurrence; whether served or attempted. The original can filed with the Court for a fee and a copy of which is provided to the Client or the original will be provided to the Client if preferred. It is prudent to have a copy of the Declaration with you at your hearing in the event the Judge has any questions to the service or attempts at same.

What Area(s) Do You Cover?

360 Investigations, LLC will directly serve your papers in the the Clark, Cowlitz, Skamania and Lewis County areas of Washington and Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, Yamhill and Marion County areas of Oregon. We utilize a pre-screened State and Nationwide Network for services to any address within the United States or its Territories and direct refer International Services to a qualified provider. There is literally no address in the world that we cannot connect with!

How Do I Place an Order?

Use our electronic order intake system and email, fax, mail via USPS or physically drop off your documents at our mailing location. Once the form is sent in we will send a payment request via PayPal, or if you are sending the documents by mail or dropping them off you can include check and / or cash instead. Call us at (360) 556-4362 with questions and we will gladly help you through the process.